Sunday, March 11, 2018

Thrustmaster TX/T300 Quick Release adapter

I have started to convert my Thrustmaster TX base's steering wheel release system to a slim quick release system with a 15 pin VGA connector.
That way I can use real steering wheels, home made ones and thrustmasters own with some modification.
I bought several slim quick release adapters from eBay, so I get more of the wheel side of the adapters so I can have more steering wheels. I also bought some USB type B connectors and VGA connectors and a 15 core spiral/flex cable. I used the VGA connectors because they got 15 pins so I can get the 6 OEM Thrustmaster pins if I want to use an OEM Thrustmaster wheel, and two USB  as well.
This way I can have an OEM Thrustmaster wheel with an arduino card for rev.light and tach/speed/gear indicator display for example, or a homemade wheel with two arduinos, or one arduino with a extra 5 volt line.

I also cut off the USB cord and made a USB type B connector on the housing so it do not have any cables hanging of it.










To connect the slim quick release adapter I drew some parts that need to be 3D printed.
First I removed the OEM wheel release adapter completely from the metal axle, in this process the four bolts holding it from the front broke in the axle, so I drew in some holes on the side of my adapter so it can be hold in place securely. I then needed to draw the outer ring in two parts, since the hole in the ring is smaller than the size of the new quick release system.

Here printed out in ABS: 

 Here is my adapter printed out in PC to be sure it can handle all the hard racing a sim can provide.


 Here is the eBay quick release adapter mounted with my 3D printed VGA connector holder that I have drawn.


I have put all my stl files for my 3D drawings on thingiverse:
Slim Quick Release connector adapter: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2748230
Thrustmaster TX/T300 Quick Release adapter: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2748230 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick release sim wheel

I'm working on a buttonbox with shiftlight and a little display for sim wheels in 32 to 33cm (13") size. I also designed a new p...